This is week two of my December series, Who Am I? If you’d like to read last week’s post, visit here.
Let’s get right to it, shall we?
- I am an ambassador for Christ – 2 Cor. 5:20, “So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, ‘Come back to God!'”
- I am the light of the world – Matt. 5:14, “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.”
- I am called of God to be the voice of His praise – Ps. 66:8, “Let the whole world bless our God and loudly sing his praises.”
- I am the temple of the Holy Spirit – 1 Cor. 6:19, “Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God?”
- I am an heir – Rom. 8:17, “And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.”
- I am created in the image of God – Gen. 1:26-27, “Then God said, ‘Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.’ So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”
- I am His masterpiece– Eph. 2:10, “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
Notice the first three. They are who we are to be to the world–an ambassador, a light to shine in the darkness, and a voice to sing God’s praise. I know I have failed many times to be these things to those around me. Why would the world want God, if it turned into the sour-faced people they see as Christians? Or worse, the people who call themselves Christians, but live no differently than the world?
The last four are who we are to God–the temple of His Holy Spirit, His heir, created in His image, and His masterpiece. Think of this… if you created a masterpiece in your image, what would you do with it?
I would put it in a glass box to protect it from the elements, much like you see items at the Smithsonian or various other museums. But God didn’t do that with us. Why? Because we are so much more than just a pretty knick-knack or bobble. We are created in His image, but we are also created to sing His praise, to be His light to a dark world. We can’t do those things separate from the world.
Have a blessed day.
PS. All verses are from the New Living Translation, unless otherwise noted. Emphasis is mine.