Can it be possible that two weeks have passed since we heralded in a new year?
The older I get the slower and faster time seems to move. If I’m doing something I love, time flies. And yet, some days seem to wear on (and on and on) for decades, and bedtime can’t come soon enough.
I haven’t posted in a while. It’s not that I have nothing to say, but that I need to quit whining and complaining about things I can not change, and do something about the things I can.
What can’t I change?
- my body’s need for rest
- my inability to write
- other people
What can I change?
- how often I rest
- my outlook on WHY I can’t write (it’s a temporary issue; I have faith to begin again soon)
- my attitude toward people who get on my nerves
- my activity level–i.e. I need to exercise more
- my diet
So this year I have a new purpose. Take care of me. Four-sevenths of my kids are adults. I shouldn’t have to worry about them constantly. The other three are old enough to fend for themselves for a while (16, 14, 12). They can all make a meal or two for themselves. For the last 25 years I have been a mother who was needed at all hours of the day and night. I gave up time, sleep, exercise, time alone, etc., etc. for my husband and children. This year, the things I do will be about me (well, honestly, that’s not entirely true because I’m just not wired that way).
- I will exercise and eat right so I feel better.
- I will write because that is the calling God has placed on my life, whether or not I have any support from those around me.
- I will cook good food that I enjoy or looks good to me. (Well, that could be debatable. Some of my attempts have ended up in the trash and the children had cereal for dinner.)
- I will spend copious amounts of time with God–learning about Him and about who I am because HE is my father. I want to be more like Him.
- I will spend copious amounts of time reading because I like it.
- I will love on my kids–even the ones that have moved out.
- I will encourage everyone around me to the best of my ability.
- I will notice their pains and pray with them.
- I will not be afraid to take a step of faith.
- I will not hide behind my introversion.
What will you DO this year to BE the person God has called you to be?
PS. I will be bringing back Writer Wednesday soon (I think). I also plan to make some changes on my website, so if you come and find things a little wonky, it’s probably because I’m trying out some things to see what works. 🙂
6 thoughts on “January 16, 2017 – A New Year, a New Purpose”
Those sound like good purposes to me. 🙂
As an addendum to all your specifics, I will add in general: I will be LESS self-absorbed more selfLESS.
put an AND between absorbed and more!
Comments are closed.